Thursday, January 1, 2009

A PP'sPs about Dolphins

I'm a dolphin.

Perhaps some explanation would be appropriate.

A few weeks ago, during another sleepless night, I was watching a show on Animal Planet. It was investigating dolphin deaths on Virginia Beach. Apparently, juvenile dolphins were washing up on shore. These dolphins had NO signs of external trauma. They were pristine in appearance. Nothing externally gave evidence of their demise. However, upon doing autopsies, they discovered multiple broken bones, massive internal bleeding, massive internal bruising, and other trauma.

As I thought about these dolphins, it hit me: I'm a dolphin!

Because of my position as a pastor, I feel like I need to carry myself and present myself in a way that portrays confidence, leadership, and contentment. I appear as if all is well. However, further inspection would reveal massive internal trauma. My heart has exploded into a million pieces and created an internal mess! A dolphin!

So, next time you see me and ask me how I'm doing, don't be surprised when I respond by saying, "I'm a dolphin!"


Strangely craving raw fish,

Josh

1 comment:

Teri said...

I feel so badly for you, I ache for you and I feel so helpless. I am glad that you are able to express your pain, this is ultimately healing. I am praying for you. Let me know if there is anything else I can do. I love you.