Thursday, January 15, 2009

A PP'sPs about Hell

I'm lonely as Hell... Almost.

You see, my primary understanding of Hell is eternal separation from God (II Thess. 1:9); the opposite of the peace of God: a loneliness that passes all understanding.

I see this in the biblical story of the Rich Man and Lazarus found in Luke 16. The Rich Man dies and is seen in torment in Hell - Alone. He sees Lazarus, who has also died, sitting in heaven - Not Alone. Lazarus is with Father Abraham, peaceful and unlonely (I made up a word there).

I would argue that a tremendous part of the Rich Man's torment is the complete loneliness of his situation. There is no party in Hell with all the sinners dressed in red tights, a pointy tail, and horns. It is the utter darkness of loneliness.

All this to say that I'm convinced that the loneliness I'm experiencing right now is as close to Hell on earth as one can get.
I find some solace in the temporal nature of my situation; some. I also now believe that, short of an experience like this, no one can understand this kind of loneliness.

I'm not yet to the point of gnashing my teeth, but it's still early. :) Please pray that the loneliness will subside to a more manageable level, thus saving me from future dental bills!
Thank all (3) of you for your comments and, more importantly, your prayers. They are much appreciated.

Nearly Gnashing,

Josh

3 comments:

Julie said...

All I can say is, I'm sorry. You can always come here and stay some. Though, I know that doesn't help the part or your heart that's the loneliest.

Joanna said...

You are so great with your words, and that is such a gift with what you are going through, I know it may not seem like it, but it really is. I cannot imagine the depth of loneliness you feel, I know there is nothing i can offer that will take it away. I pray that you feel the nearness of the Lord right now, in this moment.

The Hibbard Family said...

The praying from this end hasn't stopped. I agree - there is no way that those of us who haven't ever experienced what your dealing with can have any comprehension of it. I'm so thankful that God does, though, and that He guides our prayers for you. I'm trusting Him to take care of the details, but do know that the prayers haven't stopped. He reminds me to pray for you daily.